Gloucester Farmers Market was conceived out of The Gloucester Project, an initiative which aimed to support and encourage self-sustaining communities. A farmers market was a natural progression from this idea, as it provides the venue for regional growers and producers to come together and sell their produce direct to the community.
The Gloucester Farmers Market;
- Is an outlet for home grown and fresh regional produce
- Provides the community with fresh seasonal fruits, vegetables, flowers and plants from farms and growers in the region
- Reduces the cost and impact of food transportation
- Encourages organic production and a minimum use of chemicals
- Provides free advice to growers including how to adapt to our changing environment. (via the Tucker Patch)
- Provides free stall space to local not-for-profit and charity organisations wishing to offer food and beverages as a fundraiser.
- Provides a fun, safe venue for families and to encourage local entertainers
- Encourages recycling and use of non-plastic packaging